Tuesday, August 3, 2010

La Queue de la Baleine

I hate to say it, but this will most likely be my last post for Baise-moué l'ail.



There are a few things I'm looking forward to about getting home... like seeing my family and Wesley, being able to cook for myself, not having to walk half a mile and take a bus to go anywhere, BISCUITS (and gravy), having a cell phone again (even though it really has been nice to live without it), and of course, above all, snuggling with tiny little Pedro!

Those things aside, I'm nowhere near ready to leave this amazing city. I especially don't want to get back to just speaking boring-old-English all the time. Everything is just so much better in French!

At least I can certainly say that I made the most of my short time here in Québec. The last few weeks have been especially awesome! The weather has been incredible... Highs in the low 70s for a few days, and never any hotter than 80. 


No doubt, the highlight of my 6 weeks has been whale watching. We took a 3-hour bus ride Saturday to one of the prettiest places I've ever seen in a tiny town called Tadoussac. The Tadoussac Bay with surrounding mountains was just unbelievable, and the weather couldn't have been better! We went out in a little boat for about 3 hours on the freeeeeeezing water, all dressed in gigantic rain suits to keep warm. We saw countless numbers of little whales, seals (phoques in French, which I've yet to attempt to pronounce out loud because with my luck, I'll definitely wind up offending somebody), and one giant humpback who even showed us his beautiful tail. I wish I could have gotten some better pictures, but it was certainly a day I'll never forget. Mme Dufour was raised close to Tadoussac, and explained to me that in the winter, the river is completely frozen so the ferry (the only way to get across... even in a gigantic tour bus) cuts through the ice, and you can just stand in the back and watch it freeze right back over. I'd love to come back in the winter... for a day or two, maybe.



So for the next few days, my life will consist of packing up and studying for finals. Not at all looking forward to my taxi getting here at 3:30 am Saturday. Hopefully I'll be too tired to be sad, because leaving this place won't be easy! 

Québec... Je me souviens...

No comments:

Post a Comment